About

Program History

Cathedral Reflection

The objectives of the Architectural Studies Program were formulated in 1977 by Douglas Jones and launched in 1978 as “an undergraduate, interdisciplinary, non-professional course of study ... providing a humanistic approach to the study of the man-made environment.” A self-described “architect sociologist”, Jones served as director of the program until 1981. That year, the program was formally joined to the Fine Arts Department and professor Fil Hearn was named as director. By 1986, the current 36 credit major was fully developed. In 2003, HAA 1913 — the Architectural Studies Seminar — was added to the curriculum.

Today, there are over 110 majors and 15 faculty members (full-time and part-time) in the Architectural Studies Program. Energetic majors have formed undergraduate groups such as the AIAS and NOMAS. Projects encourage on-site field-work, archival research, and creative design techniques. The program also offers the Historic Preservation Minor in which students are encouraged to intern at one of the many outstanding Pittsburgh preservation organizations. The Fil Hearn Award for Study Abroad supports study abroad as means to expand the intellectual horizons of undergraduates. The program looks forward to a bright future, facilitated by exceptional students and outstanding resources.

 

 

Field Trips

2016 Field Trips

Vienna IFTA

Vienna IFTA