- Program Overview
- For Current + Incoming Students
- For High School Students
B.S. in Architecture
Required Courses | 72 credits
The term-by-term sequence outlined here is based on a student declaring Architectural Studies as their major in the fall of their first year. All the requirements can be completed in 4 years, beginning in the fall of their second year at Pitt.
 The Gateway seminar for all Architectural Studies majors is ARC 0110 | Approaches to the Built Environment, which is offered in both the fall and spring terms. All majors should take this course as soon as they declare their major. It is intended as the first in a sequence of required courses in architectural history and ideas, including ARC 0112 | Global Architecture 1: Premodern | and ARC 0116 | Global Architecture: Modern
The above three courses should be taken before more advanced courses in architectural history and ideas, especially the required writing-intensive course ARC 1160 | Architecture: Image, Text, Theory.
 Design studios are the backbone of the B.S. in Architecture and must be completed sequentially, starting with ARC 0201 | Foundation Studio, which is offered in both the fall and spring terms.
- ARC 1201 | Design Studio 1 is offered only the spring term.
- ARC 1202 | Design Studio 2 is offered only in the fall term.
- ARC 1203 | Design Studio 3 is offered only in the spring term;
- ARC 1204 | Design Studio 4 is offered only in the fall term.
 Courses in digital media
- ARC 1911 | Architecture + Digital Media 1 is offered only in the fall term and should be taken at the same time as ARC 0201 | Foundation Studio
- ARC 1912 | Architecture + Digital Media 2 is offered only in the spring term and should be taken at the same time as ARC 1201 | Design Studio 1
 Two required courses in Studio Arts are important adjuncts to Architectural Studies design studios. SA 0130 | Foundation Drawing and SA 0140 | Foundation Sculpture should be taken early. All Architectural Studies majors are encouraged to take addition courses in the Studio Arts department.
 Students in the B.S. in Architecture should take the Physics requirement early, before enrolling in courses in building science & technology offered in the School of Architecture at CMU. Two courses at CMU are required for the B.S. in Architecture and can be completed over two terms at no additional cost to Pitt students. Students should enroll in two of the following courses in the term after completing ARC 1202 | Design Studio 2.
- CMU | 48-215 Materials & Assembly [2nd year spring]
- CMU | 48-351 Human Factors [2nd year spring]
- CMU | 48-324 Statics & Structures [3rd year fall]
- CMU | 48-315 Environment 1 [3rd year fall]
 Students should enroll in ARC 1990 | Architectural Studies Internship after completing ARC 1911 and ARC 1912.